The Best Brushes for Hair Extensions
Here’s the tea: We’re obsessed with all things hair!!
If you haven’t already hopped on the hair extension bandwagon, here’s three reasons hair extensions (and ours at Wicked Roots Hair) are the absolute greatest (nope, not an understatement!):
Hair extensions are super versatile. Whether you have straight hair or curly hair, hair extensions lengthen, volumize, and amplify your natural hair.
- Hair extensions add depth and shine to every hairstyle. Choose your perfect color match or play with dimension using complementing colors. If your hair has been looking a little flat or dull, just add some hair extensions.
- DIY hair extensions are easy to install and cause minimal hair damage. No wonder they’re so trendy, right?
Now that you’re just as obsessed with hair extensions as we are…what’s next?
Well, we think learning how to maintain your hair extensions is absolutely essential because, if you care for your extensions properly, they’ll stay bouncy and last you through endless nights and many looks.
So, let’s talk about how to take good care of your hair extensions, and why it all starts with knowing how to brush your hair extensions the right way.
How to Brush Hair Extensions
It’s simple. When you care for your hair extensions properly, extensions will last longer. They’ll also maintain their texture, shine, and strength.
A big part of caring for your hair extensions is de-tangling your tresses and brushing them is super helpful. But! There’s a certain brushing process you should follow if you want to minimize damage and protect your hair, and the process actually differs whether you’re working with wet hair or dry hair. You’ll want to take mental notes or bookmark this post!
Brushing Wet Hair
If you’re using DIY hair extensions like clip-in extensions or band extensions, NEVER brush them wet (and skip to the section below)! If you have tape-in extensions, keep reading:
- You’ve heard that wet hair is generally weaker and more susceptible to breakage, right? That’s why you’ll want to squeeze out as much water as possible before you begin.
- Then, move all of your extensions to one side and secure your hair in a low ponytail.
- Start brushing your hair gently (gently!), starting with the ends. Use a hair extension brush and work through your hair slowly, inch by inch, taking your time to carefully – and have we mentioned gently? – brush out the knots.
- Once you brush out most of the tangles, start all over again, working from the bottom up until your hair is tangle-free. And voila!
Brushing Dry Hair
Ready to brush your extensions now that they’re dry?
- Start by holding the hair firmly at the top. (Be mindful to not brush/tug at the hair while holding the band so the bond stays strong.)
- Brush out the tangles – remember, start at the bottom of your hair and move upward. (And please! Brush slowly to prevent hair breakage.)
- Once you’ve brushed out all the knots, you’re good to go!
If you wear your extensions often, try to brush them twice a day.
The Best Types of Hair Extension Brushes
Caring for your hair extensions requires the right equipment. Enter the hair extension brush, the perfect companion for your extensions!
A hair extension brush is specifically made to maintain hair extensions and minimize damage when brushing. It has soft bristles that are gentle on your scalp but also effortlessly detangle your hair so it remains healthy. Here are the best types of extension brushes to maintain those locks:
1.) Extension brush
2.) Rat-tail comb
3.) Wide-toothed comb
4.) Looped bristle brush
5.) Soft bristle brush
Benefits of Using an Extension Brush vs. a Standard Brush
Investing in a high-quality brush is essential. Though some extension brushes may come at a premium, there are many benefits to using a hair extension brush over a standard brush. First and foremost, extension brushes are specifically designed to gently detangle the hair without damage to the wefts of your extensions. Standard brushes, on the other hand, have greater pull and tend to increase breakage (which you absolutely do NOT want, especially when you’re investing in salon-quality extensions.)
If you want to maximize the time you can wear your hair extensions, definitely use a hair extension brush! You're in luck as we recently added an extension brush and sectioning comb to our shop.
What extensions care questions do you have? Let us know in the comments below or drop us a comment on IG @wickedrootshair!
May 12th 2023
May 10th 2023