What Are the Best DIY Updos?
Sleek and sophisticated updos are perfect for weddings, parties, and celebrations of all kinds. Whatever updo styles want to rock – a formal updo or a more low-key-but-still-put-together updo, there are tons of simple updos!
You might be wondering how to do an updo yourself and skip the salon trip. We get it! And you don't have to be a professional stylist to create easy updos at home. Follow our step-by-step easy updos guide to get elegant, absolutely stunning looks that won’t break the bank.
The Best Updo Styles
No matter what event you’re getting ready for, we’ve got plenty of gorgeous updos you can DIY in the comfort of your home. If you don’t have the time (or patience!) to figure out how to do an updo that’s more complicated, try some quick updos. We promise they look just as glam! Pull a chair up in front of your mirror and master these simple updos. (They go perfectly with our hair extensions!)
Double Rope Braid Bun Updo
This updo is giving us whimsical vibes as it blooms into a beautiful bun. There’s something ethereal and light about this style. It's one of our favorite easy updos, and we think it pairs perfectly with a flowy dress.
- Brush your hair back and use a comb to add a bit of volume at the crown of your head.
- Divide your hair into two equal sections and secure with hair ties.
- Divide each section into two pieces. Twist and wrap the pieces around each other to form the rope braids.
- Create a circle by bringing the right rope braid over the left braid. Then, bring the ends into a bun.
- Pin your bun into place and finish with hairspray.
French Twist Updo
This classic style is timeless and elegant. We love how the soft pieces fall freely and pull the look together. There are a few different ways you can do this updo, but we’ll stick with a simple French twist since we’re focusing on simple updos.
- Brush your hair to one side. (You can brush to the left or right – it just depends on the finished look you want!) Hold your hair in place with pins.
- Spray a light layer of hairspray on your hair to hold the style in place.
- Grab your hair and twist it in the opposite direction. If you went left in Step 1, twist to the right! If you brushed to the right, twist to the left! Tuck the ends into the twist.
- Insert pins to hold the twist in place. Make sure they’re hidden in your hair.
- Use a bristle brush or comb to smooth out the style and finish with hairspray.
Braided Ponytail Updo
We love this style for its versatility! Take it for a spin on a casual outing or dress it up for a formal event. The words that come to mind with this updo? Effortlessly cute.
- Brush your hair into a high ponytail and secure it with a hair tie.
- Take a small section of hair and wrap it around the hair tie to hide it.
- Divide your hair into three equal sections.
- Braid your hair and secure it with a hair tie.
- Finish the style with hairspray.
Twisted Style Updo
If you’re looking for updo styles for a snazzy event, this twisted one checks all the boxes. It’s the perfect combo of chic and sweet.
- Part your hair. At the front, create two small sections on both sides and section them off with clips.
- Create a half-up ponytail by gathering a section of hair at the back of your head and securing it with a hair tie.
- Divide all of your hair evenly, pulling one side to the left and the other to the right.
- Twist to create a rope braid on the left section. Do the same for the right section.
- Wrap the rope braids around each other to create a twisted bun.
- Grab the two sections from Step One and create a simple twist on each side. Pin them above your twisted bun. Finish with hairspray to set.
Elevate Your Updo with Hair Extensions
You queens look fabulous with your posh yet easy updos! Now it’s time to upgrade your updo styles with high-quality hair extensions. Wicked Roots Hair can help you turn up the volume and make a statement with your simple updos.
Looking for even more hair inspo? Follow us on Instagram at @WickedRootsHair!
March 15th 2023
March 13th 2023
March 9th 2023